Digital marketing is a process of promoting and selling your services and products through online platforms like search engines, social media, emails etc. It started with the normalization of the internet, and now it is among the world’s biggest markets which is expected to reach 786 billion by 2026.
The basic rule in marketing is to offer the right thing at the right time and place. And we know that around 5 billion people use the internet who hang around on social media and spend their time on blogs, newsletters, etc.
So, the biggest opportunity is to analyze your potential audience and target them via the same channel so that you can make them aware of your products and services.
There are many types of digital marketing, of which we will look around some of the most used types.
Search Engine Optimization
SEO is basically optimizing your website and web pages to rank on search engines with your desired queries. With 5.6 billion searches per day, Google is the most used search engine today. Hence, most marketers target Google while practicing SEO.
There are two basic types of SEO, on-page SEO and off-page SEO. On-page SEO deals with all the content on your website that is visible to the users. And off-page SEO is all about creating authority for your website through powerful backlinks. Of the two main types of SEO, Google only recognizes on-page SEO and asks the website owners to improve their website for the users. However, marketers believe that off-page SEO is also one of the ranking factors.
In order to improve the on-page SEO of your website, you need to care about the following points.
- Identify a search keyword around which your content will revolve. Make sure the keyword is long-tail, it has a suitable number of searches and low difficulty or competition. Google keywords can be identified using Google Keyword Planner, Ahrefs, SEMRush, etc.
- For each of your webpage, use a unique, short and descriptive URL that describes the content of the page.
- Create content that has visuals and is directly useful for your users. Include your keywords keeping the density up to 1.5 percent maximum.
- Make sure the content structure includes H1, H2, and H3 formats.
- Write down compelling title tags and meta descriptions for your webpage. Include your focus keywords in them.
- Link your other pages within this page (internal linking) and relevant resources from where you have collected the data (external linking).
- Optimize your images with alt tags and add schema markups to make search engines better understand your content.
Google ads or PPC (pay-per-click) is an advertisement campaign in which you pay Google or other search engines to show your web pages on top with provided search queries. Brands often use PPC campaigns for short-term profit earning. It has an ROI of 200 percent. For every $1 spent, you can earn $2. And it increases brand awareness by 80 percent (Small Biz Genius).
- In order to start with Google ads, you need to create an ad account. Enlist your campaign and website details.
- You must be aware of your advertisement objective. Either you need traffic, sales, or any other thing. You can select your objective while creating the campaign.
- Set your conversion goal where you can select a complete purchase, fill up a form, etc.
- Keywords are almost similar to that of SEO. If you have researched some keywords for your SEO, you can use them for PPC campaigns as well.
- Adjust your bids keeping in mind the market competition, select negative keywords, and your targeted regions.
Social Media Marketing
Almost 93% of marketers around the world are using social media platforms. Social media serves as one of the biggest platforms for marketers to reach a huge audience. Social media has about 4 billion active users and provides you with an opportunity to interact with different types of the audience through various social media platforms.
For instance, if you are willing to target professionals, LinkedIn and Twitter are much better place. To target the younger generation, you need to opt for Tiktok or Snapchat. Similarly, Fashion brands often use Instagram and Facebook serves you with audiences of almost all age groups. Furthermore, with respect to different social media platforms, you would need to choose suitable timing to post your content. So that it can get more engagements.
You can create business pages with almost all the social media platforms, add your services and products and market them. Facebook and LinkedIn provide you with great opportunities to utilize ads to reach out to more audiences and boost your revenue.
The secret to success with social media marketing is to keep posting. It can take time initially for your posts to reach a larger audience, but if you continue to post authentic, relevant and user-engaging content, it will boost.
Also, you need to engage your audience by posting questions, conducting surveys, and offering giveaways.
For affiliate marketing, you need to choose a niche after evaluating marketing demand and competition so that you can rank your content against specific keywords and get more traffic to your content.
Then, you should look for affiliate programs like the one Amazon has. Place affiliate links in your content and converts your users to sales so that you can earn the affiliate commission.
Influencer marketing is basically an advanced version of word-of-mouth marketing where we are being influenced by celebrities and well-known people around us to purchase a particular product. It has an ROI of 520 percent, which means the brand can earn on average $5.20 for every single dollar spent. This is equal to 11 times of traditional banner ads marketing (Neals Chaffer).
Often, we are unable to observe this kind of marketing as influencers do it so naturally that we do not realize it. It is all like affiliate marketing, but influencers are not paid for clicks, sales or links. Product owners deal with the influencers based on their number of followers and pay them in advance, usually to upload content about their product which influences common people or their targeted audience to buy their products and services.
This is more like making brand ambassadors for your product. For instance, many sports goods-producing companies make famous athletes their brand ambassadors and ask them to use their products. This markets their products around the world among the followers of that particular athlete.
Choose Your Marketing Type!
If you are willing to pursue a career in digital marketing or want to market your own product, all you need is to analyze your potential customers, learn about them and target them through digital means, which are described above in this post.